FAQ...Answers to frequently asked questions

Welcome to Sugo Music Group’s FAQ Page!
Please review our database of frequently asked questions.
Also, feel free to contact us with any other questions you may have.
Click HERE to visit our Global Music Distribution E-Agreement Page.


FAQ Categories

Sound Exchange & Copyrights

Do I need to own all the rights to the music I’m selling?

No, you do not need to own the sound recordings, yet you need to have full permission to distribute or sell any of them. Thus, if you have a master use license agreement for specific sound recordings and the owner of these recorded works has authorized to exploit them, then you can definitely seek our distribution services. Of course, if you ARE the owner of any masters, you can do so as well.

What if I submit a cover song?

Cover songs are great! In fact, some of the most successful songs that we distribute, relevant to downloads and streams, are cover songs. Cover songs are an easy way to attract new audiences and to expand your fan base, demographics and psychographics. We will even handle all the third party composer/publishing payments for you.

What is a cover song?

A cover song is your recording of a song that you didn’t write.

What is not a cover song?

A “cover song”: is not a song you composed; is not a song you co-wrote with another songwriter; is not a song you have purchased 100% rights for; and is not a public domain song written before 1923)

What is Sound Exchange?

SoundExchange is a non-profit performance rights organization that collects royalties on the behalf of sound recording copyright owners (e.g. record labels and recording artists) and also performing artists for all non-interactive digital transmissions, including satellite and Internet radio.

When did Sound Exchange start?

Prior to 1995, sound recording copyright owners in the United States did not have a performance right; that is, recording companies and performing artists were not entitled to receive payment for the public performance of their sound recordings. That soon changed. The Digital Performance Right in Sound Recordings Act of 1995 and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 together granted a performance right for sound recordings. As a result, copyright law now requires that users of music must pay the copyright owner of the sound recording for the public performance of that music via certain kinds of digital transmissions.

What are Sound Exchange’s responsibilities?

SoundExchange exists to administer statutory licenses for sound recording copyrights, primarily through the collection and distribution of royalties for sound recording performances occurring under the jurisdiction of U.S. law. SoundExchange handles the following duties with respect to statutory licenses: Collects performance royalties from the statutory licensees; Collects and processes all data associated with the performance of the sound recordings; Allocates royalties for the performance of the sound recording based on all of the data collected and processed; Distributes the featured artist’s share directly to the artist; Distributes the Sound Recording Copyright Owners’ share directly to the copyright owner.

Does Sound Exchange charge any fees?

Yes. An administrative fee is deducted from royalties before they are distributed, with remainder being divided between the performing artists on a given recording, and the copyright owner of that recording.

How does Sugo Music Group work with Sound Exchange?

Sugo Music Group plays a vital role with Sound Exchange relevant to the registering, managing, claim checks, monitoring, counter claim rights and disputes, on behalf of our label partners and recording artists. We work closely with Sound Exchange to ensure that our partners are registered and authorized to be awarded royalties from other countries that have reciprocal agreements with SoundExchange for eligible international performances.

What countries are Sound Exchange and Sugo Music Group affiliated with?

Australia: Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Ltd (PPCA); Belgium: Société de l’Industrie Musicale / Muziek Industrie Maatschappij (SIMIM); Brazil: Uniao Brasileira de Compositores (UBC); Canada: Re: SOUND; Cyprus: ASTERAS Collective Rights Management (ASTERAS); France: Société Civile des Producteurs Phonographiques (SCPP); Germany: Gesellschaft zur Verwertung von Leistungsschutzrechten mbH (GVL); Ireland: Phonographic Performance Ireland Limited (PPI); Jamaica: Jamaica Music Society (JAMMS); Japan: Center for Performers’ Rights Administration, Japan Council of Performers’ Organizations/Geidankyo (CPRA/Geidankyo); Mexico: Asociación Nacional de Intérpretes (ANDI); Mexico: Sociedad Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas Videogramas y Multimedia (SOMEXFON); Netherlands: Stichting ter Exploitatie van Naburige Rechten (SENA); New Zealand: PPNZ Music Licensing (PPNZ); Spain: Asociación de Gestión de Derechos Intelectuales (AGEDI); Spain: Artistas Interpretes o Ejecutantes (AIE); Sweden: Svenska Artisters och Musikers Intresseorganisation (SAMI); Sweden: IFPI Sweden; UK: Phonographic Performance Ltd (PPL); United States: Sound Exchange (SX).

Do you register my songs with the US Copyright Office?

We do not register your songs with the US Copyright Office. We recommend that all clients copyright their works via copyright.gov.

Can you distribute recordings that have songs that I didn’t write?

Yes. Cover songs are a great way to attract new audiences and to expand your fan base. We will even handle all the third party composer/publishing payments for you. Some of the most successful songs that we distribute,relevant to downloads and streams, are cover songs. Cover songs also help your search ability on iTunes and more.

Can you or I register a cover song with a PRO?

It is not possible to register cover songs for the collection of royalties from a Performing Rights Organization such as ASCAP, BMI or SESAC. These royalties are only paid to the writers and publishers of an original song.

Can I collect royalties for songs written by others?

Yes and no. You can collect royalties for your recording of those songs, yet you cannot collect royalties for the composition of the song you recorded.

Can I register an arrangement of a copyrighted song I did not write?

No, you cannot. You can only register your unique arrangements of public domain songs. That said, it can be registered if there is permission from the original copyright owner(s) of the published song. If a copyright owner has given permission to you to arrange their work, they must agree on splits for your arrangement.

Can I register a spoken word song?

Spoken word songs can only be registered if they are accompanied with an original musical background that is not based on public domain work, and also a substantial part of the recording contains background music.

Can I register instrumental versions of my songs?

Yes. These should be registered as new songs.

How many songwriters can I list on my song?

As many as you would like to.

Can I register an arrangement of a public domain song?

Yes. We can help with these types of unique registrations.

Back to Top

Get your Global Music Distribution Agreement here!